Recently many patients and parents have contacted me about viruses in the wake of the Ebola outbreak. They have been inquiring as to what they can do to protect themselves, their families, and loved ones from viral infection. It is true that viral diseases are on the increase. Almost all recent pandemics are of the viral kind.
By no means do all the people who come in contact with a virus encounter the disease. However, someone with a weakened immune system is much more vulnerable to viral diseases. The key way to protect yourself from any viral disease or pandemic is to strengthen your immune system.
How Do I Strengthen My Immune System?
The following are my top recommendations to strengthen your immune system.
1. Kalium Muriaticum (Kali Mur) 6X is a homeopathic cell salt. Cell salts help to reorganize the way tissues function, often lifting them out of their pattern of dysfunction. I recommend Kali Mur 6X because it helps to protect the integrity of cells against viral invasion. This includes almost every cold and flu, as well as more serious viruses.
Dr. Rudolph Ballentine, master homeopath and one of the most influential doctors in the alternative health movement, discusses Kali Mur 6x in his book, Radical Healing:
“…when smallpox used to sweep India, health workers would go from village to village ahead of the epidemic, handing out Kali Mur 6X. Where this was done, it is said, the epidemic passed over or there were only mild cases.”
2. Vitamin D is an equally important tool in your vibrant health arsenal. In October of 2007, Epidemiology and Infection presented some very important findings concerning the epidemic levels of vitamin D insufficiency in the United States. The public health impact of this observation could be great, but more specifically:
- Over a 3-year period, taking 800 IU of vitamin D3 reduced the incidence of colds and flus by 70%.
- Taking 2,000 IU of vitamin D3 reduced the incidence of colds and flus to nearly zero (only one person out of 104 had a cold or flu while taking 2,000 IUs of vitamin D. That one person only had ONE COLD all year out of all 104.) The people in the control group, also numbering 104 members, suffered an average of 3 colds/flu per person per year.
Additionally, a 2009 report in the journal Pediatric Research stated that infants and children appear more susceptible to viral rather than bacterial infections when deficient in vitamin D. Based on the available evidence showing a strong connection between vitamin D, infections, and immune function in children, vitamin D supplementation may therefore be a valuable therapy in pediatric medicine.
3. Takuna is the herb I prescribe most often in my practice to help strengthen the immune system . It is an extract produced from the bark of Cepropia strigose, an herb which has been traditionally used by indigenous tribes in Peru. Takuna has been found to have very powerful antiviral properties.
4. Lastly, I recommend a daily intake of probiotic supplements. They are live “friendly” bacteria found in the microflora working to keep a healthy intestinal balance, reducing the amount of harmful bacteria while replenishing and maintaining beneficial strains. Maintaining this balance is critical for overall good health and prevention of colds and viral infection.
Remember, a strong immune system is key. It is important to note that the addition of Kali Mur 6X, Vitamin D, Probiotics and Takuna does not supplement a healthy lifestyle. In addition to a non-inflammatory, whole-food diet, your life style should includeplenty of water, sufficient rest and exercise, as well as avoiding sugar whenever and wherever possible. With a healthy lifestyle as a foundation, these homeopathic remedies and nutritional supplements will help to strengthen and balance your immune system.
The best defense is an early defense, so use these tools to proactively care for your health. Please share this with everyone who will benefit from it!
Yours in Vibrant Health,
Dr. Salzarulo and Megan
Please note: In addition to the above mentioned products, there are many other nutrients that can be helpful to meet the individual needs of each person. In our practice we are committed to empowering our patients with information and inspiring them to lead vibrantly healthy lives. It is important to keep in mind that symptoms are our body’s cry for help. They are our body’s way of letting us know that it needs support. If you or anyone in your community are suffering from persistent symptoms, feel free to give us a call at (212) 475-2222.